This is a leadership position that is responsible for developing, implementing and managing the Artists’ Co-op program at “The Hive”, an incubator for
emerging artists administered by the Historic Clay District.
Reports directly to the Artistic Director, Shaw International Centre for Contemporary Ceramics, and through him/her, to the Executive Director and General Manager
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops long range planning and ensures sustainability of program
- Develops, implements and evaluates all programming for the Artists’ Co-op
- Solicits and evaluates artists for inclusion in the program
- Develops and administers a profitable commercial gallery space at the co-op location
- Oversees and manages a balanced annual budget in consultation with the Artistic Director and Executive Director and General Manager
- Continues an active studio practice
Training and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts or related fields or equivalent
- At least three years management experience of a studio, business or co-op group preferred
- A strong background in retail is preferred.
Necessary Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills, along with strong interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to establish effective working relationships with the public and invited artists.
- Excellent organizational skills and computer skills consistent with the position
- A general knowledge of the technical aspects of a wide variety of visual art media
- Ability to problem solve studio problems
- Familiarity with basic bookkeeping practices